First Church of Christ, Scientist, Winchester Massachusetts.
In 1885, Winchester residents Franklin and Mable Rolfe asked a Christian Scientist to pray for their son, Idiorne, who was sick. As a result of this prayer, the boy was very quickly restored to health.
Fascinated by what had happened, the Rolfes and four other people in Winchester began to learn more about Christian Science by reading Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. This small group grew and began to hold small meetings in local residents’ homes. On April 15, 1900, the group began having regular church services in the Winchester Town Hall. About the same time, a Sunday School and Reading Room were established.
The church grew steadily and relocated to its current home in 1958. The building was designed by noted American architect and Winchester resident, Royal Barry Wills.